I have always been a great fan of tasty food. The cuisine of the south and the countless variations have astounded me. Here I am sharing with you the simple recipe for the popular Hyderabadi Biryani.
Basmati Rice- 1.5 Cups
Salt- To Taste
Bay Leaves- 2
Black Cardamoms- 2
Green Cardamoms- 10
Cinnamon- 3 inch stick
Oil- 1.5 tbsps
Caraway Seeds- ½ tsp
Onions -5 (sliced)
Red Chilli Powder- 1 tbsp
Garlic Paste- 1 tbsp
Ginger Paste- 1 tbsp
Fresh Coriander Leaves- 2 tbsp
Fresh Mint Leaves- 2 tbsp
Pure Ghee- 4 tbsps
Yogurt- 1 Cup
Saffron- A few strands soaked in milk
Method of Preparation:
- In a deep pan, take 5-6 cups of water. You must then add drained rice, bay leaves, salt, 7-8 black peppercorns, five green cardamoms, one cinnamon stick and cook it until it is three fourth cooked. Drain and keep it aside.
- Now, you must heat oil in a Kadai and deep-fry half of the sliced onions in this Kadai until they turn golden brown. Drain away the oil and place the onion slices on an absorbent paper or tissue to get rid of the remaining oil.
- Take caraway seeds, cinnamon stick, green cardamom, cloves, and peppercorns in the mixer and grind it to a fine powder.
- In a bowl, transfer the mutton pieces, ginger paste, and garlic paste. Add salt, spice powder, half of the fried onions crushed, red chilli powder, yogurt, half of the mint leaves, coriander leaves and one-tablespoon oil and mix. Keep this aside for marination of the meat. You will need to marinate this for a minimum of two hours.
- In a pan, heat two tablespoons of ghee. Add cinnamon and black cardamom in this pan. Sauté until the spice emits a fragrance. You can then add onion slices and sauté until golden brown.
- Add marinated mutton and cook on high flame for three or four minutes. You must then cover and cook until the meat is almost fully done.
- Take a thick-bottomed pan and heat ghee. Spread one layer of rice on this pan. The next layer should be of mutton. Top it with a layer of remaining mint leaves. Repeat the layers of rice and mutton. The topmost layer should be of saffron. Cover the pan and cook until the Biryani is thoroughly done.
- Serve it with your favourite Raita.